Movemeon’s 2020 salary report, based on 35,000 data points, is now complete. It provides comprehensive answers to questions we are repeatedly asked by employers and candidates. What happens to pay as a consultant moves to industry? How does pay vary by consulting background? How much do candidates expect to earn at different levels? You can find answers to these questions and more in our full report here.
This article summarises some of the most striking insights our report provides on compensation in startups. If you would like to know more about startup pay, please don’t hesitate to contact our startup team lead email@example.com.
At Movemeon, we connect strategic & commercial professionals, including consultants/alumni, with perm & freelance opportunities.
View all roles and register for free here.
Get in touch if you are interested in hiring from our network of professionals.
Entry-level positions in startups can be lower-paid than their counterparts in consulting, corporates or PE/VC, and the same is true of pay rises: at Associate level, they are smaller than all other industries analysed in our report. However, by Director level pay rises are most significant (13%) in startups.
As seniority increases, the importance of basic salary decreases. At Director level, it accounts for just 61% of total compensation, compared to 75% at the Associate level. At the same time, equity makes up 30% of Director-level pay, outmatched only by PE/VC, where equity is 31% of total compensation.
Gender pay gap
A Manager-level pay rise is 26% lower for women than men across all industries, and 42% of women do not receive a pay rise at all.
At Movemeon, we connect (ex) consultants and freelancers with job opportunities, advice & events. Register now to view and apply to jobs, for insider advice & networking/industry events.
- Movemeon.com - The world’s leading community of consultants, alumni and commercial professionals. Founded by two ex-McKinsey Consultants, Nick Patterson & Rich Rosser.
- Consulting2021.11.22The Most Popular Functions & Job Titles in 2021 – Movemeon’s Market Trends
- Career Advice2021.11.15Movemeon’s Founders Insights – What’s “plan A”? And why does it matter?
- Consulting2021.11.01Consulting in 2021 – The Drilldown by Movemeon
- Consulting2021.10.27Consulting in 2021 – Movemeon’s Market Trends