PAUL, PEOPLE DIRECTOR
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE CULTURE AT LIBERTY GLOBAL?
United and collaborative combined with entrepreneurial energy. Aware and proud of our past, both challenges and successes, but always looking for the next move, opportunity and direction.
We strive to embrace change, evolve, transform and adapt quickly. We set bold standards and collaborate and embrace our differences. We are also authentic, transparent and do the right thing for the customer and organisation.
WHAT ARE THE REAL POINTS OF DIFFERENCE V OTHER BUSINESSES YOU HAVE WORKED AT?
The opportunity to collaborate with some of the highest calibre individuals in their fields, on some of the biggest projects and deals that genuinely change the industry as well as new and innovative ventures.
AS A BUSINESS, HAVE YOU HIRED MANY CONSULTANTS IN THE PAST?
Yes, we often hire consultants into our strategy and development team, as well as our people team.
WHAT IS IT YOU LIKE ABOUT THE EX-CONSULTANT SKILLSET?
The ability to bring deep expertise to complex problems and provide solutions. Ability to analyse multiple scenarios and opportunities simultaneously and pivot to new projects quickly. Also the ability to structure an argument and analysis and present it at the highest levels.
WHAT DO YOU TYPICALLY SEE AS THE DIFFERENT PROGRESSION ROUTES FOR A CONSULTANT JOINING LIBERTY GLOBAL?
- Progress within their chosen discipline or area of expertise (vertically)
- Or to gain a broader experience, either a more operational opportunity in one of our operating businesses, or into a different function to gain deeper knowledge elsewhere e.g. finance.
WHAT’S THE BEST PIECE OF CAREER ADVICE YOU’VE EVER RECEIVED?
Have a career plan that provides you direction but is flexible enough to allow you to take advantage of new opportunities and projects.
AND THE BEST PIECE OF HIRING ADVICE?
Nothing ground-breaking, but test across multiple formats during the process. People who don’t shine in interviews can really turn it around in case study for example.
- Movemeon.com - The world’s leading community of consultants, alumni and commercial professionals. Founded by two ex-McKinsey Consultants, Nick Patterson & Rich Rosser.
- Interviews, Success & Trends2020.10.28Hired – Hugo explains his journey to Bullfinch Capital
- Interviews, Success & Trends2020.10.21Employer spotlight – Inchcape
- Career Advice2020.10.12We’re hiring – Head of Growth at Movemeon
- Freelance & Pro-Bono2020.10.02Movemeon Pandemic Response partners with the Fore – Interview with Mary Rose Gunn, CEO