Movemeon candidate spotlights are a series of articles focusing on member’s journeys into new opportunities. Here Yohannes explains his career journey and how he used movemeon to find his next role.
“Yohannes is a positive and skilled movemeon member with lots of valuable tips to share if you’re looking for your next opportunity.
It’s been great working with you and I wish you all the best in your new role!”
– Laila, Verisure’s Client Success Manager
Where did you start your career?
I was born and raised in the UK and moved to Ethiopia 8 years ago where I helped build 2 family businesses and spent 3 years working for McKinsey & Company, a leading global management consulting firm.
What are your long term career goals?
I enjoy challenges, building new things and variety so in the long term, I see myself leading a firm or function/product line in a fast-growing industry.
What first attracted you to your new role?
There were 3 things that first attracted me to the Business Strategy Manager role with Verisure UK when I came across it on the Movemeon jobs board:
- Start-up environment with PE backing
I quite enjoyed the entrepreneurial nature of building family businesses. I wanted to return to that world but was concerned that my ability to drive impact would be hampered by a lack of resources. Joining Verisure UK, a fast-growing subsidiary of a multinational firm with private equity backing meant that I did not have a compromise.
- Proven business model
As Europe’s leading alarm system provider with over 3 million customers and a presence in 16 countries, it was clear that Verisure had a proven business model that I could help drive in the UK.
- High exposure and potential for growth
The role would report directly to the Marketing and Strategy Director with high exposure to the Country Managing Director both of which indicated that I would have real ownership and the opportunity to drive impact. The role also offered huge potential for career growth with a fast track to a Director position in the UK or overseas, something which I found very exciting.
In your opinion how does Movemeon differ from other platforms/agencies?
I relied almost exclusively on Movemeon during my job search and there were three main reasons why.
- Firstly, all the roles were tailored towards candidates with a management consulting background which meant I did not have to spend as much time in deciding whether I would be a good fit for a role or in communicating my value proposition. The fact that all of the vacancies on Movemeon had very clear and comprehensive job descriptions helped to make things even easier.
- Secondly, the roles advertised on the job board varied hugely across industries and functions, in fact, the only common factor was that they were all looking for ex-consultants! This exposed me to many different roles even in sectors and functions that I may not have normally considered, which helped broaden my perspectives whilst also honing in on what was really most important to me.
- Lastly, I found the ability to filter jobs across multiple criteria such as company size and culture very helpful because it allowed me to focus on fast-growing organizations/industries, a critical theme that emerged over the course of my search.
What advice would you give to other movemeon candidates?
There were a few things that worked well for me during my search.
- Before beginning conversations I took the time to clarify exactly what I was looking for in a new role. This helped to focus my efforts during the initial search and made it easier to make a final decision on which option to pursue. I wanted to make sure that my criteria were narrow enough to allow me to focus but not too narrow that I would miss great opportunities so I limited myself to only 5 top requirements.
- Next, I focused on exploring as much as possible within these requirements which meant applying to a lot of vacancies. I found that doing so allowed me to have lots of conversations with different companies. This meant that I was able to stress-test my criteria and learn more about which attributes companies find most (and least!) attractive in ex-consultants. It was also a lot of fun!
- During these conversations, I wanted to get a picture of both the company and the role that was as clear as possible in order to allow me to make the most informed decision. To do this, I made sure to always ask as many detailed and probing questions as possible, essentially ‘interviewing’ my interviewers.
At Movemeon, we connect (ex) consultants and freelancers with job opportunities, advice & events. Register now to view and apply to jobs, for insider advice & networking/industry events.
Movemeon.com - The world’s leading community of consultants, alumni and commercial professionals. Also, growing hubs in France, Germany and APAC.
Founded by two ex-McKinsey Consultants, Nick Patterson & Rich Rosser.