- What they are and what you can sort in advance (useful background reading, PAYE admin, IT equipment, system set up);
- Plan for week 1 (a combination of introductory sessions and learning through doing).
When you’re doing this thinking, try to construct and codify a process that you can repeat for all new joiners. That way you’re not having to reinvent the wheel every time and can have some template emails and documents saved.
REACH OUT TO NEW HIRES BEFORE THEIR START DATE
With new hires, if there’s silence between accepting the offer and starting the new role, then you could be sending the wrong message. It would be helpful to reach out to new employees before they start work.
MAKE THEIR FIRST DAY MEMORABLE
There are many questions you can ask to make their first day memorable, to make a great first impression. As well as ensure that their first day is a positive one.
SPREAD OUT THE PAPERWORK
I-9s, employee handbooks, payroll forms, non-disclosure agreements—there’s a reason onboarding is often associated with a ton of paperwork. Although these documents are incredibly important, it might be worth trying to spread these out more, rather than handing them all to do these on the first day.
GIVE THEM A SENSE OF THE ‘BIG PICTURE’
Before you jump into project details, provide consultants with a brief overview of your company. Giving them the “big picture” view of your firm’s objectives and priorities, and how their work fits into it, can help ensure projects will meet deadlines and stay under budget.
If you liked this article, have a look at our other content related to hiring & retaining
At Movemeon, we connect (ex) consultants and freelancers with tailored job opportunities, industry insight & events. Register now to view and apply to jobs and for networking and events.
- Movemeon.com - The world’s leading community of consultants, alumni and commercial professionals. Founded by two ex-McKinsey Consultants, Nick Patterson & Rich Rosser.
- Interviews2021.05.12Tamsin, (Ex-Bain) left consulting to found her own company, Onloan – this is how she did it
- Interviews2021.05.12How to run a product delivery process at a scaleup – Advice from FutureLearn and ex-Depop Director
- Career Advice2021.05.05How do you become a Peak Product Manager? – 5 tips from Facebook’s Product Director
- Application & Interview Advice2021.04.26Last year, Elizabeth left McKinsey to join Deepnote, a seed-stage startup 🌱