Success story – Associate Director for Social Finance
Social Finance was established in 2007 to help build a social investment market in the UK. Their mission is to improve the quality and quantity of finance available for achieving social impact.
Social Finance used movemeon to hire a Director from Pall Mall Capital into their London office. The candidate started as a freelance consultant before accepting a permanent job. The original job description is shown below.
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR – HELP BUILD A SOCIAL INVESTMENT MARKET IN THE UK & INTERNATIONALLY
Social Finance was established in 2007 to help build a social investment market in the UK. Our mission is to improve the quality and quantity of finance available for achieving social impact.
Social Finance brings together individuals with expertise in finance, strategy consultancy and the social sector to drive innovative, sustainable and scalable investment propositions. Our team combines a deep understanding of social issues with expertise in financial modelling, business case development and investment structuring. We attract the very brightest individuals from some of the world’s best known firms. They are united by their desire to use their experience to bring a different approach to important social issues.
Social Finance has grown from two to forty people over the last five years and is now experiencing another period of rapid growth. We are looking for outstanding individuals to join the team and develop their careers with us.
About our work
Social Finance developed and launched the world’s first Social Impact Bond in the UK in 2010, focused on rehabilitation services for short-sentence offenders. We have since developed outcomes-based investment structures and raised capital in areas as diverse as children’s services, homelessness, youth unemployment, substance misuse and health. As a result of our work, Social Impact Bonds have attracted considerable interest in the UK and internationally.
We have also developed our enterprise advisory business and work with a range of dynamic organisations in the third sector. Internationally, we are working on Development Impact Bonds, a new financing instrument based on Social Impact Bonds that would bring together investors, governments, the private sector and civil society to provide public services in developing countries.
Social Finance is at the vanguard of developing the social investment market in the UK in internationally. In June Social Finance will form an important part of the G8 summit and we will launch our report on Development Impact Bonds to a senior group of stakeholders in Government and the international development world.
About the job
An Associate Director comes in as an experienced hire from banking, finance, consulting or third sector with a post-graduate qualification (academic, professional and /or technical).
Associate Directors typically take day-to-day leadership and project management of client engagements and other projects, with strategic support from a Director. At any time Associates Directors will work on the following types of project:
- Product innovation – developing new financial products that align social and financial returns with the interests of the social sector and socially motivated investors.
- Advisory projects – assisting social sector organisations and potential outcome funders to create financial solutions to social challenges.
- Research & market intelligence – developing research to assist investors to deploy capital to generate a social and financial return, for example developing practical guides to social investment.
- Capital raisings – supporting social sector organisations to scale their operations and impact by raising debt, equity or outcomes-finance at scale.
- Sales, marketing and thought leadership activities
An Associate Director draws upon analysis to develop solutions for clients and solves problems as they arise.
We are looking for entrepreneurial and experienced professionals who have an interest in applying investment approaches to deliver social change. Candidates must have:
- Strong interest in how investment approaches can be used to drive social impact
- Strong social research skills and the ability to quickly research, synthesise and summarise key lessons on unfamiliar topics
- Experience in managing and delivering projects to deadline with multiple stakeholders
- Experience in managing teams
- Ability to create and analyse solutions to complex problems
- Strong communication skills across diverse audience
- Experience of client management
- Logical with strong numeracy skills, ideally with financial modelling experience
- Prior experience working in the social sector, or volunteering
- 2.1 degree from a good university
Social Finance is interested in hearing from candidates from the social sector, investment banking, finance / accounting and consulting industries.
Competitive within the UK social sector
This position is a full time role, but a part-time role may be considered for the right candidate.
We are using MoveMeOn to receive & administer our applications. Please click on the big blue button below to apply. Please enclose a short cover letter by way of introduction to your application. We look forward to hearing from you.