bd-capital hired a Private Equity Investment Manager (VP). This role was viewed by 594 Movemeon members and received 31 applications.
The successful candidate previously worked at McKinsey.
This company was supported by Gaby, Client Success Manager.
An in-depth description of the role
WHO WE ARE
- bd-capital is a newly-established, different kind of private equity firm; we represent the next evolution of operationally-led investing, with senior business leaders and private equity investors working in partnership every day.
- We are at the forefront of mid-market growth investing; through our half a billion euro fund, we will partner with businesses where changing patterns in consumer behaviour and technology disruption create exceptional opportunities for growth.
- Our geographic reach is broad and our sector expertise is deep; we will specialise in making control or co-control investments in pan-European mid-market businesses from carefully targeted sub-sectors of the consumer products, modern retail, leisure, business & financial services, and health & wellbeing sectors.
- Our people are extraordinary – but we are a down-to-earth, collaborative team; our team of operators includes former Chairmen of FTSE 100 companies and former CEOs of businesses with complex, global operations and billions of dollars in revenue. Our Investment Team have backgrounds from some of the largest, most successful private equity firms in the world. Despite these impressive CVs, there is no pretence in our way of working; we have a flat structure, an “open door” policy, and a culture of open debate and transparency. All of us is better than any of us.
We will treat you like an adult and trust you; we believe that our people do their best work when they have the flexibility and resources to look after themselves and their loved ones. For example, we provide all our employees with the technology to work flexibly from home, and we encourage everyone on the team to take all their annual leave days without distraction so they can come back refreshed and ready to contribute.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to join at the beginning, and play an integral role in building bd-capital into the preeminent operationally-led private equity firm in Europe
- We are actively seeking investment opportunities and we anticipate completing 3-4 investments in the next 12 months
- We are looking for an Investment Manager (VP-level) who can hit the ground running managing a team of two Associates in both sourcing and diligence
- Our team members will help us source great investments, work alongside our team of operators, conduct detailed and accurate due diligence, and provide effective support to our portfolio companies
WHO YOU ARE
We are seeking highly motivated, enthusiastic and resourceful people at the Investment Manager (VP) level with excellent analytical skills and a strong track record in private equity or venture capital. You’ll be seeking a highly competitive base salary (envisaged between £100-120k) with scope for performance bonuses and equity participation.
- You have 2-3+ years’ experience at a private equity or venture capital firm following likely 2-3 years’ experience at a strategy firm / corporate finance firm or investment bank
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset; you find creative solutions to problems and you are always looking for ways to make things better and more efficient
- You are naturally curious and enjoy driving hypothesis-driven analysis – but you are comfortable admitting your initial hypothesis was incorrect if the data doesn’t support it
- You have the patience and tenacity to get into the detail but you never lose sight of the big issues
- You are a great listener and communicator; you are quick to demonstrate empathy, and develop credibility and trust with key stakeholders
- You are a strong networker; you feel comfortable reaching out to people you haven’t met and establishing yourself as a credible contact
- You perform best in environments in which you have high levels of independence over how you use your time and you are good at keeping your team in the loop on your priorities
- You are a great, fun manager; good people try and get onto your teams and you consistently receive great upward feedback
- People can trust you to be there when needed; you appreciate there are times when we all need to pull together to get important projects across the line
Our hiring manager is only accepting applications through movemeon so please click here to apply and do not contact us directly. Thank you and we look forward to considering your candidacy!
MORE ON OUR FOUNDING TEAM
- Richard Baker is a former FTSE 100 CEO and Chairman. Until recently, Baker served as Chairman of Whitbread, the British Retail Consortium, DFS, Virgin Active and Nectar, as well as being a Non-Executive Director of the Lawn Tennis Association. His previous executive roles include Chief Executive Officer of Alliance Boots and Chief Operating Officer at ASDA. Baker started his career at Mars where he spent nine years in various management and directorship roles.
- Andy Dawson is a former Partner of Advent International. Dawson joined Advent in 2004, and during his time at the firm led, co-led or participated in seven investments including Poundland, Fat Face, Lululemon, DFS and Williams Lea Tag. Prior to Advent International, Dawson worked for OC&C Strategy Consultants in London, where he spent time working with a number of corporate and private equity clients covering the Retail, Consumer Goods, Media, Leisure and Technology sectors.
- The Investment Team also includes Rebecca Schultz (Investment Director, formerly at Advent International); and Ron Sheldon (Senior Advisor, formerly Managing Director at Advent International) and will grow to ~10 colleagues in the near future.
- The team of operators (known as the Operators’ Club) also includes Ronald van der Vis (formerly CEO of Esprit, GrandVision); David Johnston (formerly CEO of Aimia/Nectar), Francesc Casabella (formerly CEO of La Sirena); and Nick Basing (Chairman of Ten Entertainment Group).
At Movemeon, we connect (ex) consultants and freelancers with job opportunities, advice & events. Register now to view and apply to jobs, for insider advice & networking / industry events.
Related Case Studies
Freelance Lead Operational Consultant at international PE fund
Successful candidate: extensive operational experience | Senior Manager | Strategy
Vertiv hired an EMEA Strategy and Transformation Manager
Successful candidate: ex-McKinsey. Company: Global leader in designing, building and servicing critical infrastructure.
Hg hired an Operations Manager (Interim, 6 months)
Successful candidate: ex-McKinsey. Company: 'DaaS' provider.