K.Hovnanian advertised on Movemeon to hire a Director of Strategy to lead the corporate strategy function, shape the company’s long term strategy and identify opportunities to scale.
The successful Movemeon candidate previously worked at McKinsey.
This company was supported by Sabah, Head of Special Projects.
The original job description
K.Hovnanian is one of the US’ leading construction and Real Estate businesses. We’re highly diversified by product type, selling a wide array of attached and detached home styles to buyers ranging from first-time purchasers to luxury buyers. As the developer of K. Hovnanian’s® Four Seasons communities, we are also one of the nation’s largest builders of active lifestyle communities.
Our industry requires dramatic change. Real Estate remains the US economy’s largest sector at $2 trillion but sustains the lowest productivity growth. This stagnation not only means the path to home ownership remains stressful and convoluted, but worse that our industry fails to address greater questions around how people want to live. Today’s incredible market makes maintaining the industry status quo both profitable and easy—pushing other top 15 homebuilders to maintain business as usual. We take a different view, we believe this is an opportunity to make the real investments that create differentiation, drive a competitive advantage, and progress our industry forward.
Our investments are focused around one core mission—being the best customer centric homebuilder. We endeavor to act as one united $3 billion homebuilder with a common strategy that allows us to provide our customers a simple and transparent experience that delivers them a beautiful home at an incredible value. This focus allows us to separate from the competition, redefine our industry, and grow our market share.
This role will play a vital part in our future growth as a business. As Director of Corporate Strategy, you will be responsible for leading a highly talented department and will be at the forefront of our immediate strategic priorities as well shaping our long term strategy and plans.
Specifically you will:
1. Lead a Team: Leading a team of Corporate Analysts as they scope, analyze, recommend, and oversee the implementation of pivotal strategic decisions.
2. Refine the Strategy Rollout: Working alongside the VP of Corporate Innovation and the Directors of Program Management, Growth Strategy, and Supply Chain to refine the implementation road map over the next three fiscal years
3. Identify Strategy 2.0: Identify, test, and recommend the next key components of the National Strategy to accelerate our competitive advantage and deliver on our customer value proposition.
4. Key Decisions: Drive senior leadership to make key decisions around simplification, unification, and policy in order to ensure that we adhere to the primary components of our strategy that will ensure our success.
5. Define the Metrics: Work directly with the CEO, CFO, and a small group of senior leaders to identify, define, and set hurdles for the Key Strategic Indicators that will define the progress of the strategy—in terms of both implementation and outcomes.
6. Next Steps: We are fully invested in our strategy, at the highest level, and are committing millions per year to invest in the new skills, resources, and knowledge we require, but we’re just getting started. We know there are opportunities we aren’t looking at, prioritizing, or shaping: Sustainability, Data Analytics, and Modularization are just a few key areas we want to focus on.
What we are looking for
We need a self-driven leader that identifies problems before they arise, comes to the table with solutions, and is already recommending future opportunities. We need a talented, creative, and passionate teammate searching for an opportunity to join a team that’s driving to redefine the problems our industry faces and create innovative solutions that will reshape our industry.
We’ll think you’ll be a great fit if you have the following skills;
- Extensive experience gathering, translating, and analyzing data into understandable takeaways
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills
- Significant experience in managing collaborative teams that work with/for a client
- Experience successfully facilitating multiple projects simultaneously as the primary project manager
- Utilizing both qualitative and quantitative pattern recognition to identify opportunities
- Comfort with ambiguity/abstract reasoning when no solution is readily available
- 3+ years of experience in consulting in top tier strategy/management consultancy
- At least five years of work experience (ideally some experience out of consulting)
- Solid functional knowledge, including but not limited to strategy, business development, manufacturing, supply chain, product development, project management, marketing and sales, etc.
- Post-MBA experience preferred but straight line promotions are great as well