Be The Business hired their Mentoring Partnerships Manager from the Movemeon community.
The successful member was previously working at Gartner.
If you are interested in more information, here is the original job description posted on Movemeon
About Be the Business
Productivity drives growth as well as increasing social prosperity and improving living standards but Britain has never fully recovered from the global crisis and recession that followed. Now the turbulence following the vote to leave the EU risks even more economic uncertainty. If productivity growth was important before the Brexit vote, it is crucial now.
Having been asked by the Chancellor in 2015 to dig deeper into Britain’s productivity problem, Sir Charlie Mayfield, Chairman of the John Lewis Partnership, brought together some of the brightest minds in UK plc to approach the problem in a different way. The result was a report entitled “How Good Is Your Business Really” that called for a business-led response to the UK’s productivity challenge and identified improving SME management and leadership capability as the key to change.
Led by Sir Charlie and Chief Executive Tony Danker, Be the Business (BtB) was launched in November 2017 with funding and support from the UK government and some of Britain’s leading companies. We work with the entire business community to share what works for today’s best businesses with every company that wants to learn and improve.
Be the business focuses on the role that management and leadership play in improving firm-level productivity. We do not tend to look at the sector-specific technical expertise required in a given industry, but rather the kinds of leadership and management practices that have been proven to support firms in driving better productivity and competitiveness – things like helping your people thrive and produce, meeting customer needs, making sure it all comes together in the bottom line, and strengthening personal and strategic leadership.
These are vital attributes for UK firms, not only in light of the uncertainty of Brexit and the resilience that firms will have to exhibit but also in light of the stagnant levels of productivity across the country over the last decade compared to our G7 peers who have recovered more strongly since the financial crisis.
About the Mentoring for Growth Programme
Mentoring for Growth matches ambitious SME leaders with high calibre talent from leading companies who invest in mentoring them on a pro bono basis.
In early 2018, we ran a successful pilot for 6 months in Birmingham and Manchester. In Oct 2018, we launched the first cohort of Mentoring for Growth (MFG) SMEs matched to mentors expanded to include London and the North East. MFG matching process for mentors and mentees has been conducted by Growth Hubs and Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs).
The MFG programme now needs to scale up and our target is to reach 1,000 (cumulative) established mentoring relationships by the end of March 2020. We want to broaden our geographic reach too.
The MFG scale-up will require accelerated recruitment of engaged, committed SME leaders as mentees into the programme (across England) as well as high-quality senior leaders from leading firms. There are two new roles being recruited in the MFG team; (1) Mentoring Delivery Manager who will manage the 3rd party provider and ensure SME mentee recruitment and mentee/mentor matching is performed to plan and (2) Mentoring Partnerships Manager who will generate the pipeline of high calibre, quality mentors from leading firms at required pace.
The Mentoring Partnerships Manager will be responsible for generating the pipeline of high calibre, quality mentors from leading firms at required pace. This role will also be responsible for the day to day liaison with mentor-providing firms who could range from banks and technology providers, to business support organisations and advisory firms, as well public sector and industry bodies. Reporting directly to the Mentoring for Growth programme lead, with a dotted line to the Director of Strategic Partnerships.
This role will suit someone who really wants to get stuck in scaling up and delivering a successful programme. It will suit someone who is highly organised, action oriented and excellent at building strong relationships.
- Experience and demonstrable success in external relationships building and experience of dealing with senior leaders of large firms
- Significant experience of relationship management of leading firms across different sectors to manage delivery against objectives
- Ability to think strategically as well as drive operational delivery
- Ability and desire to work at pace and with flexibility
- Collaborative team member and strong interpersonal skills
- High quality verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Alignment with BtB values
Further details on the role
- Develop and implement the pipeline plan for recruitment of mentors from leading firms. Ensure this fits with the broader strategy and operational approach. Find innovative solutions to challenges and issues related to mentors and mentor-providing firms.
- Work with the MFG Programme Lead to define the strategy for Mentor recruitment
- Work closely with the MFG Programme Lead and Mentoring Delivery Manager to determine (1) the operational approach for geographical scale up, taking account of budget and resource constraints and (2) what nuances should be considered with the MFG programme e.g. Sector specific mentoring
- Identify opportunities for improving the MFG proposition, maintaining an iterative approach based on continuous improvement and feedback from mentees and mentors
- Contribute to programme and evaluation design to ensure the work contributes to BtB learning activities, future development, builds a wider evidence base and meets the needs of key stakeholders
- Scope and open-up mentor-providing opportunities with leading firms, including Strategic Partnerships, that will help us deliver our objectives for the MFG programme
- Engagement of, influence and on-board new mentor-providing firms
- Day to day relationship management of the mentor-providers to ensure value is being derived by the mentors and the mentor-providing firms
- Working closely with the Strategic Partnerships Manger to identify opportunities to add value to strategic partners through this programme, and then ensure they are delivered
- Identify opportunities to expand mentor-providing firm relationships to wider strategic partnerships
- Responsible for ensuring we meet our targets for the recruitment/acquisition/retention of high calibre quality mentors from leading firms and their ongoing engagement and support
- Work with MFG Team, Marketing Team, PR Team, Networks Team and external partners to ensure engagement of mentors in MFG events and interventions
- Support the community of mentors through a programme of events / activities to ensure their ongoing engagement and improve their ability to support mentors
- Create and manage specific programmes that fit the needs of the mentor-providing firms
- Participate as an active member of the MFG team, the wider Programmes team and the Strategic Partnerships Team, contributing to meetings, identifying opportunities for cross-programme collaboration
- Work with the Evaluation team to ensure data collection and appropriate management, and the right approach to building evidence of impact
Related Case Studies
Senior Innovation Operations Manager at KFC
Successful candidate: ex-BlackRock | Senior Manager | Operations
Case Team Leader at Ethiopian ATA
Successful candidate: ex-Teneo Consulting | Manager | Programme, project & change mgt
Case Team Leader at Ethiopian ATA
Successful candidate: ex-McKinsey | Manager | Programme, project & change mgt