This role was viewed by 148 Movemeon members and received 64 applications.
The successful candidate previously worked at BCG.
This company was supported by Sabah, Client Success Manager.
An in-depth description of the role
Over 125 years ago, Frederik and Gerald Philips started a small lightbulb company in Eindhoven. Little did they realize that it would become a global force of innovation, committed to improving billions of lives worldwide. But it did.
Today, Philips is a world-leading health technology company with a vision to make life better for people worldwide through meaningful innovation. Making good on this promise depends on our passionate, inspirational, collaborative and diverse team. We have over 80,000+ brilliant people around the world but are always looking for more. Like-minded, motivated, focused minds to join us in creating a healthier, more connected society while transforming themselves personally and professionally.
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s an experience filled with unexpected moments that will transform you in lasting and positive ways. Help us improve the world for the better while building a career that no one could have planned for. Even you.
Influence strategy and growth in a leading Health Technology company. Are you a highly talented strategist, currently working for a top-tier strategy consulting firm, who can support the Philips Executive Committee to make decisions? As a Director in the Strategy team you will directly support and influence key decisions made at the highest level of the Philips organization.
This is an opportunity to really impact, and become part of the future leadership pool, for an EUR 24 billion company, making over EUR 2.2 billion of profit.
Structured around 4 global hubs located in Amsterdam, Andover, Singapore and Shanghai, the Strategy team consists of top-level strategists with wide-ranging backgrounds, nationalities, and competencies. The team works with Philips businesses, market organizations and functional teams, supplying them with deep business insights, actionable strategic direction and thought leadership.
The Strategy team works together with Philips Businesses, Markets and other functional teams on high impact projects with a mandate from the Philips Executive Committee. This is a central team that drives deep business insights, actionable strategic direction and thought leadership for the company.
Responsibilities range from global projects at group level to high-impact projects within specific markets. Typical projects could be as broad as the evaluation of Philips’ global footprint in terms of value creation opportunities, the creation of a market entry strategy for kitchen appliances in the US, the identification and mapping of growth opportunities in the global Clinical Information market or a deep dive into the requirements to thrive in the Chinese market for Philips’ businesses
As a Director of the Strategy team you will be responsible for:
- Initiating and driving strategy projects across all Philips’ businesses
- Managing working teams up as well as down and sideways (incl. stakeholders throughout the organization) and driving specific departmental initiatives
- Actively coaching and developing Group Strategy team members and spur them on in their professional development.
- Contributing to the formulation of actionable strategy recommendations
- Working with and presenting recommendations to audiences of senior management
- Facilitating strategy discussions in broader teams across businesses and functions
We are looking for
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a top tier Strategy Consulting firm (BCG, Bain, McKinsey, Roland Berger, etc.) plus MBA from a top tier business school
- Or non-MBA candidates: minimum of 7 years Strategy Consulting experience alternatively, 8-12 years in New Business Development or strategy role for a top-tier international company
- International business experience (experience in emerging markets is a plus)
- A Master’s in Business, Science or Engineering with excellent academic track record
- Excellent analytics and quantitative skills
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- A willingness to travel (25%)
- People skills as well as a results-driven attitude when managing project teams
We offer you the unique opportunity to be actively involved in the decision-making process of the Philips Executive Committee, plus the ability to work in a wide variety of business environments and geographies. We will also support your personal and professional development. Our benefits package includes:
- Extensive set of tools to drive your career, such as a personal development budget, training and coaching
- Variable bonus based on both Philips results and personal performance
- Solid company pension scheme
- Opportunity to buy Philips shares and products at a discount
- 25 Days of leave and the possibility to purchase up to 20 additional days off annually
Within Philips, the Strategy team is a proven landing spot for strategy consultants, and a stepping stone for future leaders. There is the opportunity to develop further within the strategy career track, but many predecessors have successfully moved into other areas of business – from general management to marketing. Projects form the ideal opportunity for members of the Strategy team to get to know the business better and vice versa.
The position is based in Amsterdam – A city consistently ranked in the top 15 in the world for Quality of Living, Startups and Innovation, Economic Prosperity, and Top City to Work In.
Related Case Studies
Shell hired a Strategy Consultant (2-3 months)
Successful candidate: ex-McKinsey. Company: Global group of energy and petrochemical companies.
Unit4 hired an M&A Consultant (2-3 months)
Successful candidate: ex-BCG. Company: Technology company providing software systems.
Landsec hired a Transformation Director (Freelance)
Successful candidate: ex-PwC. Company: leading property business with over £5bn under management.