GoCardless advertised on Movemeon for a Product Manager to help lead product development at VC backed (Y combinator & more) fintech start-up looking to scale.
The successful Movemeon member previously worked at Oliver Wyman.
We’re building the payments network for the internet. Join us.
Since GoCardless was set up in 2011, we have been focussed on simplifying Direct Debit and opening up access to companies who could never previously use it. We already process over $1bn each year for thousands of businesses, and we are growing fast.
We work with a huge range of organisations: small gyms and scout groups use us to reduce admin; fast growing companies like Funding Circle use us to power their growth; established institutions like the Financial Times use us to dramatically reduce failure rates.
Our ambitions go beyond this: we want to break down barriers so that businesses can quickly and simply start taking payments from anyone, anywhere in the world.
Over the last year, we’ve expanded our offering for larger organisations, like the Guardian and the UK Government. We’ve also added European Direct Debit schemes, so multinational companies can collect payments across Europe with ease. We’ve recently launched in France and Germany, and in the coming year we’ll continue our global expansion, as we create a global network for recurring payments.
We’re London-based, and backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Balderton Capital, Accel Partners, Passion Capital and Y Combinator.
Product at GoCardless
This is a really exciting time to join our growing team! We’re building a new Product team from the ground up, and one of the top technical/product executives in Europe will shortly be joining as our new Chief Product & Technical Officer.
Our Product team is focused on three areas:
- What we build: Figuring out what we need to build and prioritising when we build it is our core responsibility. We bring the vision and context to empower great decisions, so we focus on posing the right questions rather than dictating detailed answers.
- How we build it: We believe in a collaborative partnership where the Product team focuses on outcomes, while Engineering focuses on how we get there. Product’s main role in execution is to be the voice of the market and to make sure we achieve what we set out to do.
- Communicating with everyone: Product is a key part of the glue that binds together teams at GoCardless. We communicate the who, what, why and when to the company. We also work closely with Marketing, Sales and Support on how best to communicate what’s happening to our customers.
As a Product Manager you will work closely with one of our Engineering Managers to lead one of the development teams at GoCardless.
We believe in autonomous teams, so you should expect a challenging and highly cross-functional role with tasks spanning the commercial and technical spectrum. We are looking for product managers for multiple teams, but across the roles we expect responsibilities to include:
- Building a deep understanding of customers’ needs.
- Defining our competitive positioning and keeping on top of broader industry developments.
- Developing a vision for the direction of the product, and leading prioritisation to maintain the backlog.
- Tracking progress, assessing our impact and driving delivery.
- Leading communication with the rest of the business and working with product marketing to document our capabilities.
Who we’re looking for:
Candidates should have a proven record of success, with at least 3-5 years experience in a challenging environment, which could be anything from software engineering through entrepreneurship to strategy consulting.
We’re looking for people who have incredible potential, so you don’t need a background in product to apply. We believe great product managers share common characteristics, and we look for these above all else:
- Raw intellectual horsepower: We want our product managers to have an outstanding ability to think on their feet and tackle intellectually challenging problems.
- Curiosity & drive: You should relish challenges and have a strong natural instinct to drive things to completion. We’re looking for the ability and curiosity to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
- Collaborative leaders: Product roles bring responsibility without direct authority. We’re looking for natural leaders who earn the trust of others with a collaborative style and great communication skills.
- Effortlessly analytical: At GoCardless we start by asking ‘why?’, and a data-driven approach is central to how we run Product. When you’re presented with data, analysis should be a reflex.
Our team come from a variety of backgrounds and we welcome diversity – if you’re unsure, please apply. We offer a competitive salary and options package, commensurate with your experience.
Related Case Studies
US Country Lead at Taptap Send
Successful candidate: ex-Rocket Internet | Senior manager | General management
Senior Special Projects Manager at Comply Advantage
Successful candidate: 20 years of relevant experience and previously worked at AT Kearney
Commercial Strategy Manager at Ocado Zoom
Successful candidates: ex-Bain & Company | Manager | Strategy