MicroEnergy Credits advertised on Movemeon for a Regional Manager – Africa (Founder) to relocate to Kenya to build a mission-driven social enterprise helping solve climate change and energy access in Nairobi.
The successful candidate has extensive strategy experience and is a KPMG and Deloitte alum.
This company was supported by Sabah, Client Success Manager.
An in-depth description of the role
MicroEnergy Credits catalyzes the shift to a low carbon future by empowering rural and urban households in emerging economies to switch from traditional fuels to clean, efficient and renewable energy. We are passionate about partnering with MicroFinance Institutions to enable women, microentrepreneurs, households and small businesses to access affordable microfinance for clean energy. We offer Microfinance Institutions access to financial enhancements from Environmental Markets which are used to facilitate large scale retail clean energy lending programs. We pride ourselves in being an ideal partner for MicroFinance Institutions which wish to serve its membership with clean energy products, diversify a loan portfolio by adding or increasing the clean energy segment, or enter new markets where clean energy is in high demand.
MicroEnergy Credits is a small, dynamic team of 35. Our culture has maintained its start-up ethos of innovation and collaboration at the intersection of environmental markets, clean energy technology, data analytics and financial inclusion. Our headquarters is located Mumbai, India, and we have a second office in Nairobi, Kenya. We have developed financial institution partnerships which reach over 80 Million households across Asia and Africa, and our programs have reached 23 Million people with clean energy.
As a member of MEC’s Africa team you will:
- Have an opportunity to be a founder of a newly spun-out social enterprise
- Use grant funding to pilot key proof points of an emerging business model
- Manage sales, and technical teams to achieve pilot goals
- Pride yourself on excellent client relationships with current and future donors, including timely communication and expectations management
- Manage a funding pipeline for the enterprise
- Develop relationships with potential donors and impact investors in preparation for eventual spin out
- Cultivate productive and mutually beneficial relationships with microfinance institutions and clean energy product company partners
- Work collaboratively with customers and other stakeholders
- Discover and motivate high performing in-country talent to join MEC
- You have experience in strategy consulting
- You are entrepreneurial and creative, capable of developing a vision, and building a solid business plan around it
- You are a business development go-getter, comfortable networking and building relationships across many cultures, countries and sectors
- You communicate clearly and precisely using pyramid structure and applying logical frameworks. You listen carefully. You calibrate communication to build relationships with diverse audiences from executives to technical experts. You excel in simply explaining complex ideas
- You are an ace problem solver, who can own the cycle of setting a goal, analyzing data, making a plan and tracking progress
- You are a compassionate leader, who co-creates a positive culture with the MEC Africa team
- You are comfortable operating in a small, lean, dynamic and fast moving team
- You are passionate about MEC’s social mission
Nice to have:
- Microfinance, renewable energy, PAYGO solar experience are strongly preferred
- Fin tech, machine learning, AI, credit scoring experience are strongly preferred
- Experience working in international markets
- Breadth of regional and local cultural, social, and business acumen
- Professional fluency in regional foreign language(s) is a plus, particularly fluency in Swahili
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Salary: Very competitive for Nairobi, Kenya
Related Case Studies
Category Manager (Strategy) at Manual
Successful candidate: 3 years of relevant experience and previously worked at L.E.K
US Country Lead at Taptap Send
Successful candidate: ex-Rocket Internet | Senior manager | General management
Senior Special Projects Manager at Comply Advantage
Successful candidate: 20 years of relevant experience and previously worked at AT Kearney