Discovery Education advertised on Movemeon for a Senior Director, Strategy & Operations to transform learning in high impact role executing international growth strategies, reporting to MD.
The successful candidate previously worked at Bain & Company and had extensive experience at Director level.
This company was supported by Sabah, Client Success Manager.
Discovery Education is a PE-backed, fast-growth EdTech business.
Powered by the number one non-fiction media company in the world, Discovery Education International benefits from a globally recognised and respected brand of a large company but with the pace and entrepreneurial culture of a start-up.
With a footprint in 53 countries, across all continents, Discovery Education International’s mission is to transform teaching and learning through innovative partnerships with Ministries of Education, Publishers, Channel Partners and other like-minded organisations. The International division has been growing at double-digit growth and we aim to accelerate that momentum over the coming years.
Senior Director of Strategy and Operations
Reporting to the Managing Director, this is a newly established role. The Senior Director of Strategy & Operations will be a key member of the Discovery Education International senior leadership team, responsible for overseeing successful development and implementation of Discovery Education International’s strategy.
The role will act as the right-hand person to the Managing Director and will take on many of the responsibilities of managing the international business. The role will be directly accountable for all operational functions, with six direct reports. You will also be responsible for all business development support activities including proposal development and legal contract development and review.
The role will have several main responsibilities across strategy development, business development, operational leadership and financial performance, specifically:
- Develop strategic and financial business plans for new initiatives supported by clear team KPIs
- Developing and present clear and quantifiable recommendations for business growth
- Support Business Development efforts including developing sales processes and managing Head of Marketing, to ensure delivery of support for channel partners and international schools
- Manage the Head of Strategy & Growth, the Heads of Content Production, the Head of Project and the Head of Professional Development ensuring their business lines are performing well
- Ensure that production requirements aligned for all Interface with the US and UK teams to ensure global alignment to corporate initiatives and maximise cross-company synergies
- Manage financials for the International business, including budget development, reconciliation of costs and forecasting
- Show strong leadership and help build a culture of collaboration, innovation, trust and integrity
- Maintain an understanding of industry trends, current events, new technologies and anything that may impact the business
What we’re looking for
We are looking for an ex top-tier strategy consultant who has 10+ years professional experience, including in a more operational role in industry. Specifically, you’ll exhibit:
- 10+ years of professional experience including 5+ years in strategy consulting, ideally followed by a more operational role in industry-
- Strong time management skills with the ability to adjust and adapt quickly
- Strong people management skills with proven success in developing and managing virtual teams across functions, geographies and business units
- Strong stakeholder (internal and external) management skills
High level of business and financial acumen
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, balance competing priorities and “pitch in” and take on additional tasks as needed
- Ability to develop and cultivate relationships, navigate cultural and political sensitivities, and manage various input from external stakeholders
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time, including but not limited to MENA, LatAm and China
- Experience in education, media and working internationally desired but not necessary
Salary: £100k-£115k + bonus