Strategy consultants may have been faced with this conundrum before – do I really want to stay in consulting or is it time for me to make a fresh start? Or it may be the pandemic that has made you reconsider some of your career choices and you’ve come to the realisation that you are after something more fulfilling.
As part of our broader series on career change, we share with you our 12 top tips to consider to make sure you’re on the right track for success.
Wondering how to start?
Planning a career change can be scary. You probably already have a day job that brings you stability and responsibilities, but you might feel that something is missing from your current role. Changing career sounds like the right thing to do and it’s really quite exciting to think about, but it also feels like you are throwing caution out of the window by starting everything from scratch.
There are so many conflicting emotions involved in this process, along with the number of hurdles that exist when operating a change, whatever that change might be.
This nerve-wracking process can be made easier by looking at our 12 tips for success and systematically going through the reasons, desired outcomes, and various other logistical considerations. You need to take the time to really think of the reasons why you want to change your career as this will help you to keep your motivation afloat in more trying times.
Why do people change careers?
- They have become disillusioned with their work.
- They’ve outgrown their current role and feel like they’re stagnating.
- They feel a disconnect from their personal interests and want to follow their passions.
- They want to be less stressed by their job.
- They feel like they will never be paid enough in their current career.
- They want to find a better work-life balance to spend more time with their families.
- They lack a sense of purpose and want to make a difference in their career.
- They want to fulfil a dream that they were not able to do at the start of their working lives (they maybe lacked the financial security and opportunities to get into the career they wanted, etc.)
- Their current career is becoming redundant following technological and digital transformations.
Movemeon’s 12 top tips to change career
- Reflect on your current job satisfaction: build a clear picture of why you want to change.
- Reflect on whether you are dissatisfied with your role or your whole career path: make sure it’s not just the role you want to change.
- Assess your skillset and the skillset required for any potentially interesting jobs: try to build an understanding of any gaps.
- Investigate other options: browse job sites, read articles, make the most of your network and speak with people in the roles you’re interested in or people who have changed careers too.
- Do your research: Make a list of the ins and outs of your chosen career path (what does the role and/or industry look like now? how will it evolve over time?, do you need to start from scratch or can you use transferable skills to start at a less junior position, etc.) and compare them with your personal situation and your broader life goals.
- Make your moves in several small stages: consider upskilling one skill at a time. You can add more moves as your goal becomes clearer and your motivation greater.
- Start researching new options: monitor whether you feel motivated and excited to do this.
- Take your time: try out some different possibilities, almost like a role-play, and try them for a little while to see if that’s actually the right direction for you.
- Find a mentor: As you’re speaking with people, try to ask them for advice and follow-up so that they can guide and support you in your career change.
- Volunteer in your desired path: that’s a fantastic way to see whether the role you’re envisioning is the right choice for you. Register to Movemeon’s Pro Bono initiative to volunteer your time with NGOs.
- Make sure you’re clear on money: try to build a clear picture of your financial situation. When you start a career from scratch, you often find yourself with a lower salary at the beginning and sometimes it can take a little while before you secure the right opportunity.
- Commit: if you still feel motivated and excited, the next step is to fully commit to the change. Movemeon can help you to find your perfect next step with opportunities in all industries for strategy and management professionals. Register now to explore live jobs and be notified of relevant opportunities.
Changing careers is as exciting as it is nerve-wracking. There are so many things to consider and prepare for before actually doing the exciting thing of taking the leap. But taking the time to build a clear picture of what your current situation is, what you want to achieve, and what steps you need to take in order to do so will help you properly assess your motivation. With a strong plan and enthusiasm from your research, you will be sure to make the right decision for this important life change.
Movemeon can help you find your next role with over 350 roles in various industries and companies of all sizes, specially dedicated to former strategy and management consultants or equivalent skillsets. Register to explore your new career opportunities.