Why consulting and tech skills are the perfect combination for the future world of work
Most people enter consulting as it opens doors. Or, to put another way, it puts off having to make a decision. This is definitely not a bad thing when you’re a graduate; your knowledge of the potential careers out there is understandably limited.
Consultancy offerers an opportunity to better understand what opportunities are out there, whilst not limiting your choices.
The adaptability of consultants
Consultancy opens doors for very good reasons.
- Firstly, it tends to attract “all-rounders”. The assessment process for consultants is focused on both logical/ structured thinking, and your potential to be strong at building client relationships.
- Secondly, consultants are then trained, normally for at least 24 months, in the consulting toolkit. The hard skills are regularly referred to as problem-solving, corporate presentation/ communications, analytics. However, in my opinion, the softer skills are just as important: attention to detail, a continual focus on personal development, ability to build client relationships/ stakeholder management.
The result is that ex-consultants can go into a wide variety of commercial, analytical and senior management roles.
The future of work
With the growth of technology, new jobs have been created. In particular, we’ve seen a huge growth in product management, data science, AI and analytics roles. The challenge in the market is one of supply and demand: there are far more opportunities than there are people with relevant experience.
This has resulted in two things:
- An increase in the salary paid
- More flexibility in the backgrounds of candidates
Setting yourself apart
Despite the supply-demand imbalance, product management roles, in particular, are extremely competitive.
Combining a background in consultancy with a technological understanding can really set you apart. The grounding from consulting in structured thinking, commercial acumen and senior stakeholder management combined with knowledge of tech, will put you in a unique position to help drive tech products and platforms forward.
A passport for the tech industry
Combining a background in consultancy with a technological understanding can really set you apart. The grounding from consulting in structured thinking, commercial acumen and senior stakeholder management combined with knowledge of tech, will put you in a unique position to help drive tech products and platforms forward. This will help you to really differentiate yourself as a future leader in a tech business.
Movemeon.com - The world’s leading community of consultants, alumni and commercial professionals. Also, growing hubs in France, Germany and APAC.
Founded by two ex-McKinsey Consultants, Nick Patterson & Rich Rosser.
- Inspiring interviews2019.11.08Hired – Yohannes (ex-McKinsey) explains his journey to Verisure
- Lifestyle2019.11.05Does flexible working improve productivity?
- Events2019.10.31Event Highlights – Movemeon & Adrian Blair: From Startup to IPO
- Inspiring interviews2019.10.30Movemeon insight – Matthew, Ben & Tessa, explain what it’s like working at Faculty